Analytics

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

It's square fish, Phyllis. Okay?

I'm still not sure what I'm doing being a mom. I remember right after we brought Elle home from the hospital, I was exhausted, sore, emotional and I sat on the edge of the bed thinking "I have to keep this baby alive." Thinking to change her diaper when she cried wasn't part of my normal routine yet and it seemed if she was either asleep or crying. Neither Matt or I could figure out why in the world people would choose to do this more than once, or why the Duggars had 19 (that's the last count, right?) I felt really disconneted from her in the beginning, I loved her, of course, but becoming a mother radically changed my life.

Now, we are getting along just fine. I really love her at this age, she turned 7 months on Monday. She sits up all on her own, but she hasn't learned to crawl yet. We sleep a lot, she is her mother's daughter. We play a lot and we laugh a lot.

I love that my friend Sarah will only give advice when I ask. After all, unsolicited advice is the #1 cause of homicide in America. (or maybe it's gun violence mostly related to gang activity, but my theory is interesting) I have recently started watching other mothers as a idea of what not to do. Last week, I was watching the Rachael Ray show when then had a segment on children's health. The was a boy in the audience who may have been 2 1/2 or 3, it's hard for me to gauge these things, and he still had a pacifier. So, my goal from seeing that is not to have a 4 year old while a pacifier in her mouth while trying to speak. It reminds me of an old women, wearing a moomoo with a cigarette dangling haphazardly from her mouth while trying to order a drink. Elle's on a good start, she only has her pacifier when she gets in her crib to go to sleep.

Matt and I went to Branson this past weekend, and to pass the time on the drive, we listened to the podcast "Stuff you should know." We listened to one about the history of McDonald's. Which is very interesting. So there was a Designing Women episode where Bernice's niece is in town for her competency hearing and they visit McDonald's....

BERNICE: And whenever we go to McDonald's, she always wants to know what the fish is like. And I always have to say, "It's square fish, Phyllis. Okay?"

I can't believe the Hulaburger didn't work out. Hulaburger: A Ray Kroc invention, it featured a slice of pineapple instead of meat. Originally intended for Roman Catholics who were not allowed to eat meat on Fridays during Lent. It was test-marketed in 1963.

If you are interested in the Stuff You Should Know podcast, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment