Analytics

Friday, February 25, 2011

Let me begin by saying I love the show Designing Women. I've seen every episode multiple times and am anticipating the release of all seasons on DVD. When in college, I watched 4 episodes each day on Lifetime. I only wish I had gone to seen Dixie Carter when she was performing at the U of A. I start a lot conversations with Matt with "there was a Designing Women episode..." more often that what he would like. Here's how it ties in today.

As a new mother, I am constantly seeing the progress of others' children. It's only normal to compare. Elle got her first tooth and rolled over just before 5 months, she was sitting on her own, completely unsupported at 6 months. There was a Designing Women episode where Charlene had taken her baby to the park and encountered one of these women who let you know the progress of her baby. I can't find the exact quotes but it went something like this:

Mother: When did you baby cut her first tooth? My baby cut her first tooth at 4 months. When did you baby take he first steps? My baby took her first steps at 11 months.

Charlene to her co-workers: All along I thought I had given birth to the most precious baby and come to find out, she's just a toothless blob.


So, when I read that someone else's child is starting to crawl or whatever the event might be, I have to remind myself not to be crazy. She'll learn to walk or eat, its inevitable.

In a recent conversation with a good friend, we were discussing a career choice that someone had made, we'll say an alchemist. It is something that isn't of high importance to us and seems very silly of why someone else would pay for this service. It rates on our scale below hypnosis, but above palm reading and snake charming. My friend chimed in commenting that it's about equal to being a life coach.

Which got me thinking. America is now lacking common sense. I could totally be a life coach. If someone is willing to pay me money for my opinion and common sense, should I not accept it? Is this not what Dave Ramsey has made millions doing? He's only teaching financial common sense...and we're paying him for it. He's right, he's teaching us what came naturally to our grandparents. If you want to take advantage of my life coaching skills, let me know. We can work out a deal.

On a side note, Matt has decided to re-memorize pi. He's up to 35 digits. There's all kinds of fun to had at our house. Jealous yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment